Thursday, October 25, 2012

"My Category Is Truth, and Deep Beauty": Day 15 of 31 Days of Falling by Faith

"I don't want to wear it because my category is truth,
and deep beauty, not attractiveness."

That is Ronda Chervin's answer to "the silly question of cosmetics"—"to use or not to use." I would like to adapt it for this blog:

"I want to write it because my category is truth, and deep beauty, not attractiveness."

This morning's meditation in the Magnificat Year of Faith Companion was about Noah. Fr. Vincent Nagle described him as "the kid . . . who just could not get with the program, who was always on the sidelines . . . the strange one who seems to be in a daydream, not keeping up. . . .  His gaze is somewhere else." It is this "kid," Fr. Nagle says, who was commanded by God to build the ark. His neighbors watched and laughed, even as they suspected that he might really know something they didn't.

I was that kind of kid, but at some point after I "grew up," I decided I'd had enough of that and wanted to know what I was missing, wanted to fit in. So I said no to building God's ark and walked away in the other direction.

It took me more than twenty years to turn around and start making my way back toward the innocence I'd rejected. I'm not there yet, but at least now, thanks be to God, I'm headed, I think, in the right direction.

And that's all I can manage to say here tonight.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment