Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Sexy Geeks Need Not Apply

Recently (again) several friends have suggested that I try online dating at Catholic websites. This past weekend, after I found myself thinking about it at Sunday morning Mass, I actually spent (wasted?) some time registering myself on a couple of sites.

It made me feel just about as icky as I thought it would--especially after I received an invitation to connect from a guy who called himself "Sexy Geek." I deleted my profile from that site immediately!

The next day I spent some time talking with Jesus in the monastery chapel. I haven't been spending as much time there in recent weeks, despite it being Lent. There, I realized, alone with Jesus, is where I feel most at ease, safe, and loved. I don't have to sell myself to Jesus. He, after all, is the one who sought me, waited patiently for me, all those years that I was away from the Church.
"If she runs after her lovers, she will not overtake them; if she seeks them she will not find them. Then she will say, 'I will go back to my first husband, for I was better off then than now'" (Hosea 2:9).
Later that afternoon I was drinking tea, talking, and laughing with my classy 78-year-old friend Nan when suddenly she leaned toward me and almost whispered, "I think you have a secret. I think you're really a nun in disguise."

That made me feel happier than any Sexy Geek could imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment