Monday, April 2, 2012

If at First I Don't Succeed....

The day before I published the first post on this blog, my "Starbucks buddy" Sarah asked me what was holding me back. Immediately I thought of a "pen pal" I wrote to for a while in my twenties.

I don't remember her name. We connected over art. She was a painter; I sometimes painted. We exchanged photos of our work along with our letters. (This was years before e-mail, Facebook, and digital cameras became the norm.)

Her paintings were big and loose. Mine were small and tight. Hers flowed. Mine marched.

The difference wasn't just in the paintings as nouns; it was also in--and the result of--the painting as verb. Her paintings looked like they'd burst from her brushes like the energy released in an overdue earthquake; mine were painstakingly planned in advance and executed like surgery.

I started this blog because I wanted a place to write the way my pen pal painted--a place both qualitatively and quantitatively different from my other (sporadic) blog. I'm finding it just as hard to do that as it was to paint the way she painted, though I tried for a while.

This time, I hope, I'll keep trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment